Monday, October 5, 2009

The Decision

I watched as Andrew made his way up the stairs , his fists balled up , his arms shaking , his face a black cloud . He entered his room and slammed the door shut . I sat on the bed as he paced around the room . He was muttering incoherently to himself and I knew something had happened . Something that would make him very angry and do stupid stuff . He was keeping himself in check , if only barely .

After what seemed an eternity , he ceased his pacing and sat down on a chair . He nodded once at me to acknowledge my presence and then , his face went blank . I got up the bed and walked to him .

" Something wrong ? " I asked tentatively . I was positive that he would burst into a rant and start pacing the room again . I wasn't expecting the next .

He looked at me with empty eyes and asked a question which until today i have yet to find a proper, cogent answer .

" Why must they put so much pressure on me ? "

And then , he did the one thing that i had not expect him to do . It was the last thing i thought he was capable of doing since this would be the first time i actually see him do it .

He cried .

It came in chokes . Then , the tears . Next , his face was buried in his arms and he was seriously crying . I could only put a hand on his shoulder and just grip tightly until his crying subsided .
It was over in two minutes . He staggered to the bathroom and washed his face , destroying all evidence that he had ever had a moment of weakness .

He emerged from the bathroom without a trace of a teenager who had just cried . His face was calm and he took out his History reference book before resuming his seat .

" Thanks ," he said to me " It's been awhile since i let my emotions go unchecked . " I merely nodded and asked " Care to share what happened ? "

He told me what happened in a monotonous tone , his eyes never leaving the History book that was lying on the table . His shaking right hand , which was curled in a fist was the only outward sign that showed that he was barely controlling his emotions . I was silent as i listened to the story .

" Look- ," I began but was cut short when he raised his hand . " I know what you are gonna say and i don't want to hear it . Its for my own good . They only hope for the best . The usual bullshit . I don't need the comfort nor do i want to hear the reason . " he said the last sentence with an absolute finality that I knew , concluded the discussion .

" I will go tomorrow . Nothing is stopping me from going . Even if i have to wake up at 5 and walk all the way to Alex's house . I had enough . I go through everyday studying for at least 6 hours and what i get in return is pure , hateful spite ." he said . I nodded and acknowledge his decision . " You do know that it would only infuriate them . " i said . He merely shook his head and said " Do i look like i really care about what they wanna think about me now ? I have done my duty as a son and it's because of that duty that i will endure . " I understood what he said . " Only duty ? " I asked . " Only duty , " he said without hesitation .

I was quiet as i looked at him . " You have changed , " I said finally " The Andrew i first met wouldn't have been this forgiving . He would have pulled the trigger by now . " He smiled sadly and said " That Andrew is gone .. what remains is a shell , a remnant of that person . I have made my decision . I know what i must do . All i want is your consent on it . Since you are the only person i can truly trust . " I nodded in consent . As i turn to leave , he said " Tell me , do you think i'm doing things as they should be ? " As i opened the door , i looked back with an amused expression .

" Do what you think is right . If anything screws up , there's always another way . I'm always here if you need me . And in answer to that .. who knows ? " I smiled a bit ruefully as i left .

I exited the house and was surprised to see him waiting for me . " You know you can't be backing him up forever , " he said pleasantly as he fell in step with me . I nodded tersely ( i have been nodding a lot in the past few minutes ) . " There is still time and as long as I'm here , he wouldn't go wrong . " I said confidently . He nodded and walked briskly , leaving me strolling behind . " You are a good man . Pity about limitations , huh ? " he said before walking into the darkness .

Limitations
I knew about that . I can only hope that my decision is correct ...

HD

No comments: