Sunday, November 8, 2009

What must be done

"Idiot ," I muttered as he relate to me what had transpired in school , " That was very stupid of you . Aaron and Shawn were right , you know , you really are a pussy ... " I looked as he stared out at the open sky . He had returned from school with a melancholy look which immediately told me something bad had happened .

" Well , " he said " At least , i didn't need to pay in the end . Though , doubtless i was a fool to be so weak against such a thing . " He continued to gaze at the sky .

I sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder . " At least , it cleared up , " I told him " Though if it happened again and you screw it again , I'm changing your Christian name to Pussy . " He smiled at that . " Apt name , don't you think ? " I shook my head and heaved another sigh .

" You really are a soft-hearted person . It could kill you , you know ," I said . " What am i to do ? " he muttered . " That's just the way i am . Pitying other people , putting myself in trouble for the sake of others . Doing nothing for my sake . "

I looked at him and something clicked .

" Is it because of what happened 5 years ago ? " I asked . He froze . " Its noth- " he spluttered .

" No ."

I grabbed his shoulder and shook him roughly . " I thought you were over it . What the hell made you still want to atone for what you could not have avoided ?! It wasn't your fault it happened .. "

" It was , " he muttered , " Everything was my fault that day . If we had instead stayed home to clean the room , if we had not followed that route , if we had taken the normal way home , if i was strong enough , if- " He stopped as i landed a punch on his chest , stunning him .

" Enough with the Ifs , " I shouted , " The past is the past . You wanna be of use ? Stop fucking moping ! Get your act together !! " I yelled the last word as i grabbed his shirt . " Stop , " i landed a blow " being " another blow " an idiot ! " the last blow was parried as he blocked my punch and landed a punch of his own .

I was pushed back and we both stood up , eyes blazing at each other . I dropped my guard disgustedly .

" Sorry , " i muttered sullenly . " I just flew off the handle . It wouldn't happen again ."

" No , you were right . Thank you . " he smiled as he extended his hand . Shaking hands , he continued " What can i do ? What can i do for someone i care the most about ? "

I removed my hand and grabbed my bag . Before leaving , i turned back and looked at him straight in the eye .

" Its not what you can do . Its what you must do for the one you care the most about ," I said . " Remember that , and don't screw up the next time . "

With that , I took my leave . Leaving him where he was . A changed person .

HD

No comments: