Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Garden

The flower held itself high, facing the sun, prideful and stoic. It was a solitary flower, surrounded by the greenery that was the grass. Pearl white with a hint of black around the insides of the petals. A beautiful colour.

At least, that was how i remembered the flower to be.

Deep down inside me, lies a garden. No matter how much I nurture that garden, no matter how much i attend to it, only one flower blooms at a time. And each of those flowers had wilted before its maturity. The garden used to be a sanctuary where I can relax and enjoy a book of two.

Until recently.

I have nearly no recollections about the first flower that bloomed in this garden. Was it a cherry blossom flower? Small, pink but breathtaking if bloomed in the dozens? Was it a daffodil? A yellow bright as light, a significance of chivalry? Was it a tulip? A rose? I do not remember.

I do not want to.

The garden used to be my sanctuary, as I had mentioned earlier. It was a place where I could spend my time here alone, wondering along the grass, gathering my thoughts and organizing my life. It used to be a  place where peace comes amidst the despair that comes.

Until recently.

Recently, a new flower had bloomed together with that white solitary flower. A flower with jet-black, almost charred-looking petals. It was bigger than all the other previous flowers. It was not something I could look at as I visited the garden in my free time. It was almost repulsive. The flower gave out a feeling of utmost pain, a feeling of being burnt. Perhaps its an illusion, a significance to its charred-looking petals. I shudder whenever my eyes fell upon the flower, so much so that I have avoided visiting the garden ever since it had appeared. What is it? Why has it appeared?

I doubt I would have the courage to visit the garden again...what with my failing to maintain any of the flowers that bloomed, what with that dead-looking flower appearing, what with my weak heart. Will I ever get the courage to visit the garden again?

I do not know.

But, while I am away, a new flower has bloomed. Tiny. Purple. But glowing with bright energy. Perhaps, in the days to come, when I return to the garden, I will be able to witness it bloom.....and die again, as it has always been with the others.

No comments: