Monday, December 21, 2009

The One Step Forward

He stood silently on the patch of green that was part of his home . Or what was left of his home . The sturdy pillars that once gave strength and stability to his house was now charred and slowly burning away with the licking flames . Still , he stood ever vigilantly , his face holding a grim outlook . The house continued to burn as he stood alone in the darkness that was lighted only by the red embers that were slowly destroying his house .

He lifted his cap and looked at the sky . The unusually black sky was without stars on this very night , as though the sky was reflecting the melancholy that echoed in his heart .
With the fire still going strong , he held up a bag which he had by his side . Without a trace of emotion , he threw it into the flames . The flames dimmed slightly before emerging in an intensity as though it was delighted to have extra supply for it to burn .

His hand rummaged into his pocket and took out a locket . His right hand grasped the locket tightly as the left hand slowly adjusted his cap back into place . The shaking hands were the only outward sign that he was at least human . The locket opened and in it was a picture of a girl . A girl that to him , was beauty itself . A single tear left his eyes as he took the locket and threw it into the flames .

“ I have done what I meant to do , “ he muttered , “ The burning house , the burning of my past , the destruction of all walls that barred me . “ He said it in a monotone , as though stating the obvious . His shaking hands still gave away the fact that he was not as calm as he looked . “ Is it done then ? “ he mused aloud . “ Apparently so , “ a voice said despite nobody else being there , “ Your next path is clear for you . All conditions have been met . It’s time . “ . He nodded slowly and stared at the burning wreckage that was his house .

“ From now on , I am the wandering one . The one who is lost . The one who has to bear the sins that I myself have commited as well as those that I am associated with . No longer will I shy away from the carnage I caused . A new beginning . A new chapter to open . A new story that will be written . The future , the desire of mankind . A new start to a new life . “

“ A wonderful speech at the darkest of times . “ the voice commented dryly . He acknowledged the comment with a wave of his hand . “ The next thing to do is .. “ he said . “ Yes , “ the voice said “ the next step in life . Your move .. What will it be ? “

He stared into the endless night , the thoughts of a new beginning echoed in the depths of his mind . He breathed in the air of the night and finally turned away from the dying flames that have managed to completely destroy the traces of his life .

As he walked away from the wreckage , he thought to himself . This is my step forward , my step forward into a new life , where I start anew , where no one knows who I am , where I’m from and what I am , he thought . I am the new me . I am about to change my life into one of sorrow and melancholy .
This is my step forward . My feet refuse to back down . They won’t because they know no retreat , only to move around . Never falling back from the path , only side-stepping and going to the front . Because that is what I have become . A lost soul .

No comments: